Friday, February 18, 2011

Angels Among Us.

Guys- I have been one awful blogger this week.  I truly apologize for that. Hopefuly, this weekend will go slow, give me grace, and let me catch up.  As I did the other night, I'm going to put myself farther behind in this post and write about something other than Deep Dive.

This might be a wordy post- please bare with me. I'm hoping it will be worth it.

Fridays, I have a class from 9:30-11:20 and then a class from 12:30-1:20.  I usually just go to my next class and sit outside for that empty hour, working on homework, writing, texting, something.  Today, I decided to go to the union instead. Don't ask why, maybe I just thought a chicken Caesar salad sounded good. Whatever the reason I went, I'm glad I did.

I went to Villa, got my Caesar salad, and sat down planning on writing about Deep Dive.  As I started to mix in my dressing, I felt like someone was hovering, only to look up and see two men on the other two sides of my little, square table.  At first, I wondered if they were going to be intrusive enough to ask to sit with me for lunch.  Then I thought they were going to give me a flyer or a pamphlet or a card about some campus organization.  How wrong I was.

Brian and Brandon were their names and they wanted to talk to me about my faith.  No one had ever asked me about my faith, at least outside of church.  I've never had to answer whether or not I was a Christian.  I've never had the honor of answering, "Yes. I'm a Christian."

They sat down and asked about me; my major, where I was from, what year I was, if I liked Purdue so far, the usual stuff. Then they told me a little bit about themselves.  Brian graduated "sometime in the 90s" from Purdue, and Brandon was a fifth year senior studying Interdisciplinary Sciences.  Then they asked me where I was in my faith. I proudly said that I was beginning to own my faith and that I was beginning to make it my own, not just my parent's.  I told them about how Ethiopia changed me and how I was now on fire for God in a way I have never been before.  Maybe it wasn't as genuine as I picked up on, maybe they were just good liars, but I think they meant it when they seemed interested in the trip.  When they asked me about God's presence in my life since the experience.  That was really refreshing.  They told me about their organization, Intervarsity Church Fellowship and then invited me to join with open arms if I was interested.

Then, before they left, they asked if they could pray for me. They genuinely cared when they asked if there was anything I wanted them to specifically pray for. I decided that if God had sent them to me, I shouldn't be too proud to talk about my post-trip sense of alienation, and asked them to pray for me in that sense.  They (well, Brian) began his prayer, lifting me and me alone up to God. I'm not meaning this in a selfish way, but it was such a blessing, a true blessing, to have this stranger send me up to God. For him to request God's guidance over me and to ask for me to shine God's light onto my friends was incredible.

I consider Brian and Brandon to be my angels, at least for today.  They left to go talk to others in the union about Intervarsity, but within 30 seconds, I had lost them. They were gone as fast as they had arrived, sent by God.

I just want to send a shout-out to God for sending me to the union instead of my class building today.  And I thank Him for blessing me with Brian and Brandon to pray for me and to reassure me in my walk of faith.

And I want you to pay attention to what's around you. Look for God. Listen for God. Becasue there are angels among us.

1 comment:

  1. This is very cool...I just stumbled upon here by way of facebook. I am so proud of you and who you are in your faith!! I will also lift you up in prayer and that God would send just the right people in your life to build you up and to encourage you and to be lucky enough to become your friend! Love you.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete